Friday 14 November 2008

Taking pole dancing to a fresh audience

I have been meaning to report back on a recent exhibition at the Echo Centre in Liskeard, Cornwall. Myself and fellow instructor Hayley had been invited to do a pole dancing demo at the centre by manager Helen Winchurch. We jumped at the chance to take pole dancing to a new audience and were pleased to also get lots of interest from the local press. On arrival we were greeted with lots of smiling faces who were excited about the pending demonstration but were also not really sure what to expect. The usual stereotypes were still at the forefront of most peoples minds and I think the general assumption was that that both Hayley and I had come from the nearest lap dancing club and were going to do a very sexy dance - how wrong they were.

I danced first followed by Hayley and we were both rewarded with rapturous applause, I then invited clients from the centre to have a go and was overwhelmed by the amount of volunteers. Rather then me rabbiting on I will let the pictures tell the story:

To summarise, both Hayley and I had thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Echo Centre, it is a fabulous facility with a bunch of fantastic clients and carers. I must also take the opportunity to thank the manager, Helen, for inviting us in the first place and giving us this valuable opportunity. There are more pictures on our art of dance facebook group and on Hayley's blog! Must dash now as I am off to the Big question. Don't forget for you lucky Devonians there is a Pole Jam at the art of dance studio from 12.30pm till 4pm tomorrow. £5 on the door - 50% goes to the Anthony Nolan trust.

Stay healthy,

Sam x

1 comment:

Glamourpuss said...

Sam, you're such an admirable woman.

Puss