Sunday 24 February 2008

I am happy.


I think the title of this blog sums it up, My life is very good at the moment and I feel very lucky. The last few days have provided lots of different experiences that I have been looking forward to sharing with you. Firstly thanks to the lovely Gordon Sparks and his equally lovely producer Stuart Geddes for inviting my husband and his fighter Christi Campbell onto his popular morning radio show, One of the topics of the morning was about supporting local farmers and Gordon had asked listeners to text in with alternative song titles, The farmers themselves have just released 'Stand by your ham' to find out more visit pigsareworthit.com.

As promised here is some feedback from my session at Lux Park Leisure Centre in Liskeard, I met the appropriate adult at 7.15pm and then 7 girls alll aged 15 turned up for the start of the session at 7.30pm. The girls worked so hard and seemd to really enjoy learning to pole dance. From what I can gather some of the girls have had some bad life experiences yet they still have so much to offer and so much to learn. I asked one young lady whether she was left or right handed, she replied "I am left handed but I punch with my right", this was a great answer as it meant she could probably work both sides of the pole. Apart from the odd bit of negative physical contact between the girls they were an absolute pleasure to teach and I think they benefitted from the session. I will be liasing with Lux Park next week to see if they would like me to continue with these sessions.

One less enjoyable experience whilst at Lux was several comments made by one member of staff at Lux who seemed to have taken a dislike to me before she had actually spoken to me, after having a go at me for being in "her room", apparently she always uses this room on a Friday evening, I did explain that I had been told to use that room but she did not seem to be listening to me nor have any respect for me. After I had finished teaching she launched into a torrent of abuse starting with the words " You do realise that you have just pushed those young girls into prostitution, do you realise how impressionable these young ladies are?". I tried to have a reasonable discussion with the lady in question but she was clearly not up for discussion. I will be putting in my own complaint about her behaviour on Monday and am sorry she could not find the time to listen to my side of the arguement. I get very frustrated when people are so narrow minded.

Saturday morning meant attending the Theatre Royal's costume sale, it felt like it was my birthday, I bought about 20 pairs of gloves for Burlesque workshops as well as an outrageous flared skirt (Which I will probably only wear on holiday!) and an amazing red wig. If any of you are attending our art of dance social at Annabel's discotheque next Friday 29th Feb 8.30pm till 10.30pm then you will get to see the aforementioned wig! Jo and I had fun rummaging through the bargains followed by lunch at the Plymouth Arts centre where I was disappointed to be told that the arts centre cafe will be closing in march, it will be greatly missed by all who have eaten there. I will be returning to the second part of the Theatre Royal sale next Saturday, it runs from 11am to 4pm.

This afternoon I will be doing my usual farm shop run and hope to purchase some of the gorgeous purple sprouting broccoli that was on offer last week, Lastly Thanks to Peter for the CD he sent to Jo, I must confess that I may have to pinch the free song 'ride my pony' as it seems like a great bluesy pole dancing song! I hope you all have a great weekend.

Stay Healthy,

Sam x

3 comments:

MrsG said...

Ooh - where did you find a wig?? I just love my coats, though the red one is in pretty bad shape. Definitely up for going next week!

sam@theartofdance.co.uk said...

The staff were still bringing things out when I left! The wig is a bit mad but I think I can just about get away with it!.

I am meeting my mum at 11am there and then going for lunch at the Arts Centre when we finish if you woudl like to join us?

Sam x

MrsG said...

Oh, that would be absolutely lovely, thank you!! A little light relief before whatever Jo's got planned...:-)